Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [random] Singleton engine
From: joel (joel.falcou_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-17 04:08:07

Kevin Martin wrote:
> I think I am just anti singleton. I believe it is far too overused,
> and apart from in a few niche cases provides nothing but additional
> complexity.
Singleton is victim of the same "danger of cool things" than OO in general.
When discovering OO, people go like "yeah turn everything into objects!".
When discoverign design pattern, people go like "yeah let' s use
singleton for w/e object".

There is huge cons against use of singleton in general case. Using a
static const object usually do the same without all the hassle.

Joel Falcou - Assistant Professor
PARALL Team - LRI - Universite Paris Sud XI
Tel : (+33)1 69 15 66 35