Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [spirit] how to get_position() from a multi_pass<position_iterator <const char*> >
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-22 21:34:52

Hartmut Kaiser wrote:

>> the
>> slow

>> one.

>> V2.
>>> There is documentation for V2. It's just hidden.
>>> http://www.boost.org/libs/spirit/doc/html
>> And the point of hiding the Spirit 2.0 docs is.... ?
>
> We consider Spirit V2 to be a beta version and the docs themselves are not
> complete. This will be rectified with Boost V1.41, where the docs will be
> complete and Spirit V2.1 will officially replace Spirit.Classic (whose docs
> will be 'hidden' from that point on).

I do not think it is wise to hide documentation when you want people to
try a product in Beta. How is anybody supposed to find the docs when you
suggest to them to try Spirit 2.0 or Spirit 2.1. Somewhere, on some web
page centered around Spirit, you should actually have links to the 2.0
and 2.1 docs such as they are.

If I search for Spirit, I find a Spirit home page at
http://spirit.sourceforge.net/, but good luck in finding 2.0 or 2.1 docs
from there. I can also find Spirit mentioned at the Boost home page at
http://www.boost.org/, but again I will not find the 2.0 or 2.1 docs
from there either.

As far as the docs not being complete, and their eventually being
complete when Boost 1.41 comes out, please excuse me for disagreeing
that is the way to create Beta software. I realize how hard you and Joel
have worked creating and updating Spirit, but I myself have just grown
tired, after many years of programming, of implementations whose use is
suggested but whose docs are never up to par. I just think is the wrong
way to produce software, even very high quality and free software as
Spirit is, to make programmers work harder than is necessary to
understand how the software actually works in light of incomplete
documentation.

I will wait for 1.41 before I look at Spirit 2.1 to see if I might want
to use it. I do not blame the OP if he feels the same, despite your
suggestion to hime to look at the better, more functional, later Beta
release.