Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Linker errors with boost's threading and python libs, OSX
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-31 01:16:02

Shamyl Zakariya wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yesterday I upgraded boost to 1.4, from 1.36. A big jump, but hey why
> not. I'm running OSX, 10.6 with the most recent dev tools ( Xcode 3.2,
> GCC 4.2, etc ) and used the bjam build system as described on the
> website. Vanilla install to /usr/local/ giving me the static and
> dynamic libs in /usr/local/lib.
>
> Two (related) questions:
>
> 1) My project ( built in Xcode ) uses mostly header-based libs, but
> does link against libboost_thread.a -- and now it throws all sorts of
> linker errors when it worked just fine linking against 1.36
>
> For example:
> "boost::thread::~thread()", referenced from:
> void boost::checked_delete<boost::thread>(boost::thread*)in
> QTFrameTransfer.o
> /// many many more
>
> And for reference, I really *am* linking against libboost_thread.a

I suggest you follow the troubleshooting directions given at:

        http://vladimir_prus.blogspot.com/2009/06/linking-101.html

More specifically, does libboost_thread.a include such symbol at all?
Also, is this the *first* error message?

> 2) My related followup question -- I've *never* been able to link
> against libboost_python.a. So in the past I added the full source from
> $BOOST/libs/python/src to a sub-target of my project and manually
> build my own libboost_python.a which I then linked against. That
> worked fine. But I don't understand why I can't link against /usr/
> local/lib/libboost_python.a

I don't think we can help you here unless you explain in what way,
exactly, you can't link against it.

> I have to assume something's wonky with the way bjam is building these
> libraries.

This is possible. Although wonkiness in the way to build your project
is always an option, too ;-)

- Volodya