Subject: [Boost-users] Boost and autocompletion
From: Hassan Syed (h.a.syed_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-09-01 10:56:14

Hello All,
I've been trying to get autocompletion to work under Unix. I do not mind
which editor I use really. I was hoping to get the quality of visual studio
code completion.

I have tried VIM/Ctags/Omnicompletion, Netbeans and Eclipse. The first
option does not work well since ctags has a problem indexing boost, the
smallest index I could build is 56 mb (after excluding the vector*.hpp
files). Netbeans works well however it is dog slow. Eclipse doesn't work at
all (perhaps I've done something wrong).

Is there a combination for a posix system that will work well with boost (or
other template heavy libraries) or do I need to code in visual studio and
just recompile under a posix system ?. I guess what I could do is hide the
boost code I use behind my own objects in visual studio and then resume
development on Posix where it can index my objects nicely.

It's depressing how bad the code completion engines are in non-Microsoft
editors for C++ :(. Are there any mechanisms in c++0x to make the template
code easier to parse for naive code-completion engines ?

Regards

Hassan