Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Building Boost on Snow Leopard (with Xcode 3.2 installed)
From: Christopher Jefferson (chris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-09-03 05:31:14

On 2 Sep 2009, at 23:18, James C. Sutherland wrote:

> This probably won't help you, but there has been noise on two other
> mailing lists I monitor (CMake being one) that suggest people are
> having similar problems. It seems that Snow Leopard (and the new
> GCC compiler bundled with it) defaults to 64 bit treatment or
> something.

That is exactly true. If you want to force 32-bit executables, you can
give the -m32 flag (similarly, there is a -m64 flag for 64-bit).

However, you can't just special-case snow leopard, because there is a
number of 32-bit intel macs, on which you can install snow leopard,
which themselves will default to 32-bit executables!

The only (sane) method I've found to solve this is to do one of two
things.

1) Just use the system setting.
2) Explicitly specify -m32 and -m64 on all systems.

Chris

> If you make any headway, I am sure that many of us would benefit
> from what you learn. As for me, I am holding off updating (I have
> the new software on my desk) because of these issues...
>
> James
>
> On Sep 2, 2009, at 3:06 PM, Manfred Schwind wrote:
>
>> Some corrections to my last post:
>>
>> The problem is _not_ the PPC code generation and/or the GCC
>> version; I was on the wrong track with that.
>> The problem seems to be with 64-bit code.
>> The following command works fine to built the 32-bit versions of
>> boost:
>>
>> bjam --prefix=/somepath --layout=versioned toolset=darwin
>> architecture=combined link=static install
>>
>> I've just removed the address-model=32_64 parameter.
>> Anyone has an idea why building the 64-bit version fails on Snow
>> Leopard?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Mani
>>
>> Am 02.09.2009 um 19:11 schrieb Manfred Schwind:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to build boost 1.40 on Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (with
>>> Xcode 3.2 is installed).
>>> This is the command I used to use on Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and
>>> Xcode 3.1.x:
>>>
>>> bjam --prefix=/somepath --layout=versioned toolset=darwin
>>> architecture=combined address-model=32_64 link=static install
>>>
>>> This used to give me great universal binaries (ppc/intel, 32-/64-
>>> bit).
>>> But since installing Snow Leopard and Xcode 3.2 it does not build
>>> anymore. No binaries are created and I get strange compiler errors
>>> like this:
>>>
>>> /usr/include/time.h:77: error: expected constructor, destructor,
>>> or type conversion before ‘typedef’
>>> /usr/include/time.h:124: error: ‘clock_t’ does not name a type
>>> In file included from /usr/include/c++/4.2.1/cwchar:52,
>>> from /usr/include/c++/4.2.1/bits/postypes.h:46,
>>> from /usr/include/c++/4.2.1/iosfwd:49,
>>> from /usr/include/c++/4.2.1/bits/stl_algobase.h:70,
>>> from /usr/include/c++/4.2.1/bits/char_traits.h:46,
>>> from /usr/include/c++/4.2.1/string:47,
>>> from ./boost/program_options/errors.hpp:12,
>>> from ./boost/program_options/options_description.hpp:
>>> 12,
>>> from libs/program_options/src/