Subject: Re: [Boost-users] shared_ptr and weak_ptr concurrency
From: Stefan Strasser (strasser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-09-04 18:41:32

Am Friday 04 September 2009 21:36:53 schrieb John Dlugosz:
> > can you point to anything that the boost shared_ptr does that is unsafe
> > in the one-writer-multiple-reader case?
>
> Just looking at the header, I see two direct members, px and pn.
> So straight assignment isn't going to copy the struct in one atomic
> operation.
>
> Looking at operator=, I see two separate assignments.

I can see why it is not atomic in general.
(although I still think the documentation should be changed. I don't think
very many people understand that statement as "the c++ standard doesn't
guarantee atomicity for builtin types, so shared_ptr isn't either", but as "I
can do with shared_ptr anything I can do with an 'int' on my platform.)

but I'm still not convinced that there's a lock required in my case, which
was:
"writing to an expired weak_ptr while multiple readers are trying to lock() it
seems safe to me. (in the current implementation)"

the relevant code is:

writing:
    template<class Y>
    weak_ptr & operator=(shared_ptr<Y> const & r) // never throws
    {
        px = r.px;
(*) pn = r.pn;
        return *this;
    }

reading:
    template<class Y>
    explicit shared_ptr(weak_ptr<Y> const & r): pn(r.pn) // may throw
    {
        // it is now safe to copy r.px, as pn(r.pn) did not throw
        px = r.px;
    }

if we assume that the reads/writes are not reordered by the compiler (which I
think is true because assigning to pn acquires a mutex or does something
equivalent on lock-free platforms which should act as a memory barrier), then
reading from a weak_ptr which was expired and is now in between assignment
(at line marked with (*)) doesn't have any effect because the
shared_ptr(weak_ptr) constructor only proceeds if there is a positive shared
count.

am I missing something?