Subject: Re: [Boost-users] iostreams or sockets?
From: Matheus Araújo Aguiar (matheus.pit_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-09-11 12:46:28

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 6:31 AM, pedro chaparro <pdro07_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> hi, in the asio examples there are two daytime examples , one use iostreams
> and the other one sockets, what criteria do i have to follows to choose one
> or the other? i've not really clear this concept? thanks
>
> --
> Ing Pedro Alonso Chaparro Valero
> Ciudad Politecnica de la Innovación
> iTEAM - Mobile Communications Group
> Polytechnic University of Valencia
> C\ Camino de Vera S/N, Edificio 8G
> 46022 Valencia, Spain

I have not done any code with iostreams, but conceptually, at a higher
level, i believe they're the same: objects that do I/O operations, i.e
writes and reads.
If you plan to code something that communicates through a network, then you
may want to pick the sockets. Otherwise, I think the iostreams would be the
choice, although i can't tell you for sure an example of use.

Kindly,

--
Matheus Araújo Aguiar
Computer Scientist