Subject: Re: [Boost-users] What is the way to access the data contained in a stream buffer?
From: Ramon F Herrera (ramon_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-09-12 20:16:24

Ramon F Herrera wrote:

> This is the relevant code:
>
> boost::asio::streambuf request;
> std::ostream request_stream(&request);
> request_stream << "GET " << argv[2] << " HTTP/1.0\r\n";
> request_stream << "Host: " << argv[1] << "\r\n";
> request_stream << "Accept: */*\r\n";
> request_stream << "Connection: close\r\n\r\n";
>
> // Send the request.
> boost::asio::write(socket, request);
>
> How can I convert the 'request.data' into a string or something?
>
> TIA,
>
> -Ramon

I have a follow-up question of a more general nature. I think the Boost
libraries are the greatest thing since sliced bread, but there are times
when a simpler approach will suffice. We can see in these 2 lines of
code that we are mixing STL with Boost:

   boost::asio::streambuf request;
   std::ostream request_stream(&request);

Is there any STL class that can be used above, instead of
boost::asio::streambuf?

I am trying to have a better feeling for the different implementations
and choices among streams and buffers.

TIA,

-Ramon