Subject: [Boost-users] [serialization] Support for boost classes
From: Chard (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-09-29 04:41:24

Is there a particular reason why the serialization library does not provide
serialization functions for types in other boost libraries?

Unless I've missed them, but I find I've had to provide implementations for,
e.g.:

boost::filesystem::path - trivial.
boost::multi_array - also seems straightforward, unless I'm missing
something there.

They don't require invasive techniques, so is it that it's being left up to
the particular library owners to decide whether or not to support
serialization?

If it's an efficiency argument, e.g. one size doesn't fit all, I don't see
why 'an' implementation could not be provided (perhaps in
/serialization/boost/xyz.hpp). After all, no one would be forced to
include/use that particular implementation.