Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Use of ccache with Boost
From: Dalton, Tom (tom.dalton_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-05 04:45:21

Further to my questions from last week:

I've tried both methods - first I tried changing the toolset to make the
gcc toolset use "ccache g++" as the compiler executable. I had some
problems with that, so I tried the symlink approach suggested by Roland.
This is also failing, with some seemingly very subtle bug that I can't
suss out.

The build progresses a little way, until it gets to
libs/program_options/src/cmdline.cpp

When g++ isn't a symlink to ccache, I get the following output as shown
by the attachment build.log.1.fragment.
When I have gcc & g++ symlinks in the ccache bin dir pointing to ccache
(the PATH is ccache/bin:real_gcc/bin), the output is like the second
attachment and the file fails.

The build logs diverge from that point onwards as more and more stuff
either fails, or is skipped due to previous failures.

There are 2 issues that I can see from those logs. Firstly the line
numbering on the .hpp includes is one-out on the ccache-enabled build.
Does this mean the preprocessor is behaving strangely? Secondly, on line
15 of the failing fragment file, it looks like part of the output is cut
off (at the end of the line, it gets
"boost::_bi::list2<boost::_bi::v0.000008 sec system; 0.000164 sec user".

Can anyone help me? I don't know what would cause either of these
issues.

Tom

PS Using gcc 4.4.1, ccache 2.4 and tried boost 1.39.0 and 1.40.0, with
the same results.