Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Formal Review of Boost.Polygon extended one more week: until September 9, 2009
From: Barend Gehrels (barend_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-10 07:01:43

Hi Diederick,

Diederick C. Niehorster wrote:
> This seems to be
> talking about the polygons themselves, not specifically the polygon
> set, and i find it worrying. I would need to use polygons defined by
> floating point vertices and I do not want them to be rounded or
> truncated to integers. For now, I only need to test if a point is
> inside the given polygon. Is this robust for points and
> polygon-vertices that do not lay on an integer grid?

I've done a benchmark including point-in-polygon test and I think you
can use the proposed Boost.Polygon library for this. It supports also
floating point polygons and the point-in-polygon operation, and as far
as I know (but Luke knows the details) there is no truncation to integer
for this purpose.

Alternatively, you might have a look to the Generic Geometry Library
which will be soon proposed to Boost (it has been in preview 4 times). See
http://trac.osgeo.org/ggl/
where also references to documentation and SVN access are mentioned.

Regards, Barend Gehrels