Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Already successfully running Boost on Linux, looking for advice from Windows Boost adopters
From: Steven Watanabe (watanabesj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-14 17:57:24

AMDG

Ramon F Herrera wrote:
> Okay, I already discovered BoostPro and I am downloading it. Seems to
> be a very useful resource targeted to Windows programmers ("for now",
> they claim).
>
> I hurry to add that I am currently using only these 3 libraries:
>
> - Regex
> - Time and Date
> - Filesystem
>
> ("System" is pre-required by one of those).
>
> But, I am looking with much interest into the rest of the pack.
>
> Again, feedback from fellow Windows developers is most welcome...

It should work without much difficulty as long as you
only use default build settings. If you need a more customized
build (i.e. /D_SECURE_SCL=0) you will need to rebuild
the libraries with the same settings.

> Ramon F Herrera wrote:
>> <snip>
>> I am trying to decide whether I should delve deeper into Boost on the
>> Linux side (which is quickly becoming a walk in the park), or take
>> the plunge into Windows. Are there gotchas or caveats? Can I just
>> download Boost and select "Build solution"?

You'll need to set include and library paths in the IDE first.

>> My current platform is Visual Studio, Version 8 (2005). I don't
>> intend to upgrade it until I have no choice. I have found that to be
>> a safe policy -better safe than sorry-, specially when the software
>> comes from Redmond.

Boost supports msvc 8 pretty well. I don't see any serious problem here.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe