Subject: Re: [Boost-users] boost::pool
From: frank (frank_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-03 01:17:18

On Tuesday 03 November 2009 05:45:48 Stefan Strasser wrote:
> Am Tuesday 03 November 2009 04:08:14 schrieb Diederick C. Niehorster:
> I actually considered that, but while recreating the functionality of
> Boost.Pool is pretty easy, given that Boost.Intrusive now exists, a generic
> pool allocation library is some effort.
> some things that come to mind is multiple allocation algorithms to meet
> different time complexity and memory overhead needs, pools that allow
> allocation of different-sized objects, maybe even a generic "allocation
> algorithm" library that is not limited to chunks of memory, but can be used
> for disk space and other arbitrary ranges, like allocating IDs.

I recently tried to use the std::allocator drop-in replacement from Boost.Pool
in a massively multithreaded program running on a machine with a lot of cores.
The result was very disappointing. I found my threads being serialized along
the std::allocator interface (same problem as with the std::allocator from my
STL).

A nice feature for Boost.Pool would be the ability to scale in multithreaded
environments (like for example the tbb::scaleable_allocator from the Intel
Threading Building Blocks).

KR,
    Frank