Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [test] Still SIGCHLD issues?
From: Johan Nilsson (r.johan.nilsson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-05 03:06:16

Boris Schaeling wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 13:55:18 +0100, Johan Nilsson
> <r.johan.nilsson_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm in progress of updating some projects to use Boost 1.40
>> (upgrading from 1.34.1).
>>
>> Everything now works fine under Windows, but under Linux there are
>> issues with running unit tests that spawns and control child
>> processes. My tests now report fatal errors and stops responding.
>> Searching the archives I see several references to a problem with
>> SIGCHLD, but no fix seems to have been issued.
>> [...]
>
> You can define BOOST_TEST_IGNORE_NON_ZERO_CHILD_CODE or
> BOOST_TEST_IGNORE_SIGCHLD for Boost.Test which as far as I remember
> must be rebuilt then. :-/

Thanks for the pointer. I was hoping for a provided run-time solution, which
would have been the best.

If stuck with a compile-time solution, it would IMHO have been more lenient
having to define e.g. BOOST_TEST_HANDLE_NON_ZERO_CHILD_CODE and
BOOST_TEST_HANDLE_SIGCHLD rather than having this new behaviour by default.
I really can't currently imagine a scenario where I would want this enabled.

Also, if I would want this enabled I definitely would want to have some
control over the behaviour. Is it possible to somehow handle/catch these
fatal errors explicitly in my code? I guess I could explicitly override the
SIGCHLD stuff when running under Linux, but it would be nice not having to
add more platform-specific code.

/ Johan