Subject: [Boost-users] Thread Checking Tools
From: Alexander Gray II (grayaii_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-11 11:15:43

Hi,
What thread checking tool (if any) is being used to ensure the boost
threading model is doing the right thing?
I'm currently evaluating various tools, and non of them really support this
threading model.

For instance, when I run the Boost threading examples through Intel Thread
Checker, I get a bunch of "errors" from the tool. Someone else ran across
this, and Intel's response was pretty much "we don't support Boost Threading
Model":
http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-parallel-studio/topic/68875/
along with same response from Microsoft CHESS:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/chess/thread/3be2348f-661a-4f3c-97a8-b241019ec9be

I evaluated "helgrind" and "drd", but our suppression files were getting so
large, the poor tool couldn't handle it.

Any ideas how I can verify our application is truly thread safe if we use
Boost?

Thanks,
-alex-