Subject: Re: [Boost-users] BJam scans entire disk for compilation
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-12 14:49:42

Parijat Garg wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I recently migrated all my C++ project compilation to BJam. While it has
> saved me a lot of hassles, I found that BJam takes too much time preparing
> for compilation. I ran an strace and found that BJam is scanning through my
> entire disk - perhaps looking for compilation targets.
>
> Is this a usual thing or are my compilation scripts likely to be
> misconfigured?

Parijat,

it's unlikely that entire disk is being scanned. There is upward scan from
the current directory, but no scanning of sibling directories is expected.
In other words, if you have:

   Projects:
      - Project A
      - Project B

and invoke Boost.Build in Project A, then the upward scan will obtain directory
listing of "Project A", "Project" and "Home", but nothing should scan "Project B",
unless "Project A" depends on it.

I'd recommend you first try the nightly built at http://boost.org/boost-build2,
and if the performance is still not good, pass additional -d+10 parameter to
bjam and send me the output -- I'll check if there are some obvious issues.

BTW, it's best to follow up on boost-build_at_[hidden] -- the dedicated
list for Boost.Build.

Thanks,
Volodya