Subject: [Boost-users] [serialization] usage of polymorphic archives generate linker errors
From: Christoph Heindl (christoph.heindl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-24 08:27:45

Hi everyone,

the attached example [1] generates a couple of linker [2] errors on
msvc 9.0 / boost 1.40.0 all related to missing archive_serializer_map
symbols.

when switching from polymorphic archives to corresponding
non-polymorphic archives the attached example runs fine.

It seems that the usage of BOOST_CLASS_EXPORT in conjunction with
polymorphic archives triggers the linker error.

I tried to add explicit template instantiations, such as [3], for the
missing types to boost archive, recompiled boost and was able to get
rid of the linker error. The problem then, however, is that the
example fails at runtime with an assertion that a type-lookup did not
succeed. So I guess adding the explicit template instantiations was
not the correct approach.

Any ideas?

Best regards,
Christoph