Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost-users] Automating Serialization?
From: Brian Wood (woodbrian77_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-26 14:00:02

 Paul Bilokon writes:

>Hi,
>
>By design Boost Serialization requires the user to list each field that
needs to be serialised.

>This is in contrast, for example, with Java and some other languages where
serialisation is supported (kind of) at the language >level.

>The current approach requires some code duplication. We have to declare a
field. We have to manually (de)serialise it. If we >need to make a change,
we make it in at least two distinct places.

>Is there any way to automate the process of serialisation, perhaps
harnessing the power of the preprocessor? E.g. we could >label the fields
that need to be serialised. Is there anything in Boost that could help?

The C++ Middleware Writer doesn't have that problem --
http://webEbenezer.net/comparison.html . (There's a performance section
on that page using Boost 1.38. We're in the process of updating that page
using Boost 1.41 and hope to have those results on line in the next two
weeks.)

Regards,
Brian Wood
http://www.webEbenezer.net

"Then Samuel took a stone, and set it between Mizpeh and Shen,
and called the name of it Ebenezer, saying, so far the the L-rd has
helped us."