Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Ubuntu 8.04] Linking Problem in Eclipse with Boost 1.41 Libraries
From: Brooks Garrison (bgarisn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-26 12:30:12

Volodya,

Thanks for the quick response :)

> Generally, you don't have to specify that you are using shared libraries.
> In fact, on modern Linux, every library is shared. I recommend you
> add /usr/local/boost_1_41_0/prefix/lib to LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment
> variable.

I've seen this workaround mentioned by a few people, but a lot of the
things I've read say that you should -never- change the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, so I'd rather just be able to
specify a link option or something else to get it to link properly.

> In fact, I'd recommend creating ~/local directory and using that as
> prefix for installing anything you install from source. Then, add
> ~/local/bin to PATH and ~/local/lib to LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and you'll
> no longer have to tweak any settings when you install something
> new.

Ok I'll try this for now and see if it will at least work. Thanks for
your suggestions.