Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [thread] Getting this warning message with optimization turn on
From: mike marchywka (marchywka_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-04 08:30:37

On 1/4/10, Anthony Williams <anthony.ajw_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Shiou Ming Lee <shiouming.lee_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> Hi, I'm building my program that depends on Boost.thread, but getting
>> following
>> warning message, only when compiler's optimization been turn on.
>>
>> C:/boost_1_41_0/boost/thread/win32/thread_heap_alloc.hpp: In member
>> function `bool gUtil::GLog::LogWriterManager::startAsyncLogging(unsigned
>> int)':
>> C:/boost_1_41_0/boost/thread/win32/thread_heap_alloc.hpp:156: warning:
>> 'heap_memory' might be used uninitialized in this function
>
> This is a really bizarre message. Line 156 is the declaration and
> initialization of heap_memory. How it could then be used uninitialized
> is beyond me.
>
>> This happens for MinGW 3.4 on Windows Vista SP1 32-bits, but not for GCC
>> 4.4 on
>> Fedora 11 x86. The Boost release is of version 1.41.0.
>
> It's win32-specific code, so isn't used on Fedora.
>
>> Any idea what should I do for this warning message? Or should I just leave
>> optimization on and ignore this message?

I've seen spurious optimization related messages in two scenarioes.
Some compilers only notice
when optimization is turned on and it is worthwhile to investigate.
Other times they optimize away
some code and then complain that it is missing. Is the latter possible?

> I would leave optimization on and ignore the message.
>
> Anthony
> --
> Author of C++ Concurrency in Action http://www.stdthread.co.uk/book/
> just::thread C++0x thread library http://www.stdthread.co.uk
> Just Software Solutions Ltd http://www.justsoftwaresolutions.co.uk
> 15 Carrallack Mews, St Just, Cornwall, TR19 7UL, UK. Company No. 5478976

marchywka_at_[hidden]
note new address 2009-12-16:
Mike Marchywka
1975 Village Round
Marietta GA 30064
415-264-8477 (w)<- use this
404-788-1216 (C)<- leave message
989-348-4796 (P)<- emergency only
marchywka_at_[hidden]
Note: If I am asking for free stuff, I normally use for hobby/non-profit
information but may use in investment forums, public and private.
Please indicate any concerns if applicable.
Note: hotmail is censoring incoming mail using random criteria beyond
my control and often hangs my browser
but all my subscriptions are here..., try also marchywka_at_[hidden]