Subject: [Boost-users] Using 'address-model-32_64' on Mac OS 10.6
From: Dane Springmeyer (blake_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-11 01:49:01

I've recently upgraded to a Mac with 64bit firmware and Snow Leopard.
I've noticed all applications compiled with g++ now default to 64 bit
libs (x86_64), including boost.

Thanks by the way for the fixes to boost 1.41 that allow successful 3-
way arch compilation on osx again! Now I'm trying to just build two-
way arches.

I'm now trying to compile boost (I happen to be using trunk), and am
noticing that passing 'address-model-32_64' does not seem to have the
effect I'd expect. If the flag is passed the only affect I notice is
that the build directories include it 'address-model-32_64' in the
path, but notably the '-arch -i386 -arch x86_64' flags are not
properly added to the CXXFLAGS and LINKFLAGS. Therefore the compiled
dynamic libraries are still single architecture, x86_64.

Passing 'architecture=combined' does prompt these flags, but includes
the 'arch ppc' flag as well which I don't want. So, is it a bug that
using address-model alone does not work or am I am misunderstanding
something?

Thanks for any clarification.

Cheers,

Dane