Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [multi_array] deduce logical shape of "parent" multi_array from view
From: Rhys Ulerich (rhys.ulerich_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-29 08:17:43

> The question is, is there an (elegant) way to reconstruct the shape of
> the original array just from the multi_array_view.

I don't believe so, but I could be very wrong. I think you could play some
evil pointer games in the case where your views have some fixed number
of slow-index dimensions less than the parent array. Very evil games.

> It turns out that when I try to save a multi_array_view, with strides
> and offsets, etc. HD5F still needs to know the logical size (shape) of
> the parent array (the one that has contiguous elements in memory).

I know it's not as pretty, but is there any reason you can't pass the
HDF API both the parent multi_array and either the view or the slicing
information required to create the view?

- Rhys