Subject: Re: [Boost-users] boost any questions and praise
From: Alan Tennant (alan2here_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-04 05:36:48

> The syntax is more like this:
>
> poly<ostreamable> p;
> p = 42;
> cout << p; // writes "42"
> p = "hello";
> cout << p; // writes "hello";
> p = vector<int>(); // does not compile, because vector<int> is not
> ostreamable.
>
> Note that you should implement ostreamable.

Thank you for the explanation.

 So it's not going to be safe as in "type safe" but it may well be perfectly
>> safe.
>

> I don't understand this.

As I described which is not quite how it works wouldn't be type safe as you
could put something without a method in then call that method but it would
be safe as like everything else in coding in it wouldn't break unless you
did something wrong.

polly<allMethodsAble> p1;

This would be useful, but if it won't do this then it's any_stream.

Contact the maintainer to find out if he wants to put the already
implemented stream support or <...able> into any.