Subject: [Boost-users] (Serialization) Serialization for enable_shared_from_this
From: Clarke, Carus V (carus.v.clarke_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-23 11:46:11

Alexander Gutenev wrote a message concerning this problem on Dec. 14, and I have a similar problem, also with Boost 1.41 and 1.42. After spending some time looking at this, the problem seems to be caused by creating the shared_ptr as a shared_ptr to void. This causes the shared_ptr constructor that does not support enabled_shared_from_this to be called. I think that this is because the constructor is called from a place (shared_ptr_helper.cpp) where the class derived from enable_shared_from_this is not complete.

I was able to work around the problem by moving the construction of the shared_ptr back to the shared_ptr_helper::reset function template. It would really help if this problem could be fixed. It is likely that Alexander and I aren't the only ones that rely on this capability.

Thank you,

Carus V. (Bud) Clarke
carus.v.clarke_at_[hidden]