Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [serialization] class versioning changes in boost 1.42
From: Jarl Lindrud (jlindrud_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-24 05:09:59

Hi Robert,

It's not all that clear from the documentation what one can expect of the
versioning scheme in Boost.Serialization. It would seem (and correct me if I'm
mistaken):

(1) Archives created with *older* versions of Boost are not guaranteed to be
readable in *newer* versions of Boost (as the OP has discovered).

(2) Conversely, there is no mechanism by which archives created with a *newer*
Boost version can be guaranteed to be readable by a specific *older* version of
Boost.

Consequently:

(3) It is not generally possible to write a program capable of reading archives
that have been written by multiple distinct versions of itself.

(4) It is not generally possible to write a program capable of writing archives
that will be readable by multiple distinct versions of itself.

Regardless of whether one thinks these issues are serious or not, I think they
should at least be prominently documented, as the potential for pain is quite
high. Essentially, the current versioning scheme can make it prohibitively
difficult to ever upgrade the version of Boost that a particular codebase is
using.

Regards,
Jarl.