Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Statechart] Question regarding state_machine eventhandling
From: Arne Babnik (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-26 04:50:04

Hi Andreas,

Andreas Huber <ahd6974-spamboostorgtrap <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> > For various reasons I do not want to use the asynchroneous_state_machine -
> > mostly because my application is built around a global event/message
> > handler and I do not want to use multiple threads with their necessary
> > synchronization.
>
> As Igor has already pointed out, you don't have to use multiple threads. In
> fact, it's perfectly sensible to use multiple asynchronous_state_machine<>
> subclass objects hosted in one fifo_scheduler in a program that only has
> exactly one thread. Moreover, even under circumstances where you have very
> limited control over a global message queue and its handlers, you should
> still be able to use fifo_scheduler, as you can instruct it to simply return
> from its operator() as soon as its internal queue runs empty. So, in your
> scenario, if you can ensure that fifo_scheduler::operator() is called
> periodically, you *can* use async machines.

That's good to know - I did not realize that. From the tutorial and the
reference I had the impression that a separate thread would be needed for every
other state machine, and I also wanted to go the easy way first ;-)
I'll give it a try; according to the reference all functionality I need seem to
be available.

> > It basically works because in my hierarchy
> > state_machine<>::process_event() is called only in one direction, while in
> > the "opposite" direction (or if unsure) state_machine<>::post_event() is
> > being used.
> > E.g. A calls B->process_event(), B calls C->process_event(), but C calls
> > B->post_event() and B calls A->post_event().
>
> state_machine<>::post_event() is not intended to be called from code
> "outside" of the machine, but only transition actions, which is why
> post_event is documented as being protected. Unfortunately, it is public in
> the code because it has to be called from other class templates and template
> friend support was very spotty at the time this was implemented. Anyway, I
> certainly could have done more to prevent calls from outside (e.g. with an
> assert and/or better documentation). May I ask you to enter a ticket for
> this?
Sure, the ticket is opened. Now that I read this I see that this function is
indeed declared protected in the reference, but not in the source.

Regarding my other questions about the synchroneous state machine: is it really
intended that a new event is processed before other events already queued? Of
course this might be related to the post_event() issue above - if events cannot
be queued up from outside without being processed immediately, the queue cannot
contain any pending events. Right?

Regards,
Arne