Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [serialization]polymorphicportablebinaryexamplenot working.
From: Mostafa (mostafa_working_away_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-15 19:14:33

>> No problem, what about the issue of explicit instantiations with
>> seperate template .ipp files vs. header only template files? The
>> only reason I see for the explicit instantiations is that some
>> template class function definitions are unexposed in headers.
>
> looking at polymorphic_text_oarchive.hpp I only see a typedef.
> So I don't see any explicit instantiation of polymorphic_text_oarchive
> unless it's a side effect of BOOST_SERIALIZATION_REGISTER_ARCHIVE
> which isn't used in the demo.

I should have been more specific. I was referring to:

./libs/serialization/src/polymorphic_iarchive.cpp
./libs/serialization/src/polymorphic_oarchive.cpp

I'll query the dev list on the pros/cons of explicit instantiations with
seperate template .ipp files vs. header only template files, right now I'm
leaning against the former. If there is a general consensus that explicit
instantiations are not needed, then I'll open a trak item to do away with
them in the serialization/archive libraries and add what researched
results I've come up with.

-Mostafa