Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Possibly too newbie a question?
From: Robert Jones (robertgbjones_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-16 17:32:11

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 5:44 PM, Eric Whitcombe <ericwsf_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I haven't received any response to my question. If this is is not the
> appropriate forum I would appreciate some suggestions as to where to ask the
> question. I have gone over the mailing list groups page and this seems to be
> the place to ask it but I could be wrong.
>
> I am stepping through interprocess shared memory code and I was a
> little confused by the offset_ptr code that I was hitting*. I cannot
> figure out how that is specified to the template of rbtree_best_fit. I see
> in boost/interprocess/interprocess_fwd.hpp the declaration of
> managed_shared_memory by typedef'ing basic_managed_shared_memory with
> rbtree_best_fit<mutex_family> as the *AllocationAlgorithm* argument but I
> can't figure out how offset_ptr is is supplied as the *VoidPointer*argument to the
> rbtree_best_fit template. That template has 3 arguments but the forward
> declaration only provides one. Are the other two somehow inferred? If so,
> how?
>

> * I have looked at the documentation for interprocess - including the
> explanation of offset_ptr. I understand the need for it. I just don't see
> how it is incorporated into the rbtree_best_fit template.

Hi Eric - I don't have the knowledge to answer your question I'm afraid, but
as a general comment your question
is too vague and general. You might get a better response by composing the
shortest example bit of code that
demonstrates your point, and then asking why line 'X' doesn't work/compile
or whatever. It's generally easier to
answer highly specific questions rather than general ones, and then you have
to do the generalisation.

Hope that helps a little.

Regards, Rob.