Subject: [Boost-users] custom allocators, pool_alloc release_memory() seems to be broken
From: B Hart (bhartsb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-18 05:22:23

I tried contacting Stephen the pool_allocator author, but his e-mail
is invalid (shouldn't the docs be updated?)

Here is what I wrote in case someone else here can offer some help:

I'm trying unsuccessfully to use your Boost::pool_alloc. In the
documentation at the boost website:
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_42_0/libs/pool/doc/interfaces.html
it says:

// Exiting the function does NOT free the system memory allocated by
the pool allocator
  // You must call
  // boost::singleton_pool<boost::pool_allocator_tag,
sizeof(int)>::release_memory()
  // in order to force that

release_memory() does not seem to work. Not sure why. I called a
function in my code to verify my processes memory usage, and see that
indeed memory was not being released. I also google searched and
found that others experienced the same:

http://groups.google.ms/group/boost-list/browse_thread/thread/7d350f4c30d76d42/30a8432794f24f71?show_docid=30a8432794f24f71
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/179196
http://archives.free.net.ph/message/20080827.184624.21654313.en.html