Subject: [Boost-users] Building Boost MPI, but no .lib are being built at all. Do you know what is going on?
From: iono sphere (999ionospheres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-23 13:06:36

  I am trying to run a program with Boost MPI, but the thing is I don't have
the .lib. So I try to create one by following the instruction at
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_43_0/doc/html/mpi/getting_started.html#mpi.config

 The instruction says "For many users using LAM/MPI, MPICH, or OpenMPI,
configuration is almost automatic", I got myself OpenMPI in C:\, but I
didn't do anything more with it. Do we need to do anything with it? I also
got myself MPICH2 in Program Files, and didn't do anything more with it as
well. At this point of the instruction is where I am quite unsure about what
exactly do we have to do.

Beside that, another statement from the instruction: "If you don't already
have a file user-config.jam in your home directory, copy
tools/build/v2/user-config.jam there." Well, I simply do what it says. I got
myself "user-config.jam" in C:\boost_1_43_0> along with "using mpi ;" into
the file.

Next, this is what I've done: bjam --with-mpi

C:\boost_1_43_0>bjam --with-mpi
WARNING: No python installation configured and autoconfiguration
         failed. See http://www.boost.org/libs/python/doc/building.html
         for configuration instructions or pass --without-python to
         suppress this message and silently skip all Boost.Python targets

Building the Boost C++ Libraries.

warning: skipping optional Message Passing Interface (MPI) library.
note: to enable MPI support, add "using mpi ;" to user-config.jam.
note: to suppress this message, pass "--without-mpi" to bjam.
note: otherwise, you can safely ignore this message.
warning: Unable to construct ./stage-unversioned
warning: Unable to construct ./stage-unversioned

Component configuration:

    - date_time : not building
    - filesystem : not building
    - graph : not building
    - graph_parallel : not building
    - iostreams : not building
    - math : not building
    - mpi : building
    - program_options : not building
    - python : not building
    - random : not building
    - regex : not building
    - serialization : not building
    - signals : not building
    - system : not building
    - test : not building
    - thread : not building
    - wave : not building

...found 1 target...

The Boost C++ Libraries were successfully built!

The following directory should be added to compiler include paths:

    C:\boost_1_43_0

The following directory should be added to linker library paths:

    C:\boost_1_43_0\stage\lib

C:\boost_1_43_0>

I see that there are many libs in C:\boost_1_43_0\stage\lib, but I see no
trace of libboost_mpi-vc100-mt-1_43.lib or libboost_mpi-vc100-mt-gd-1_43.lib
at all. These are the libraries required for linking in mpi applications.

What could possibly gone wrong when libraries are not being built?