Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost MPI Serialization : Sending serialized array of user defined classes
From: Noman Javed (noman_bwp_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-06-04 03:59:05

Matthias Troyer <troyer <at> phys.ethz.ch> writes:

> Hi Noman,
>
> Do you just want to know how it can be done or what would be needed to make it
efficient?

Both

> To just make it work, all you have to do is write serialize functions for your
Array class and your complex struct.

Is it some specialized serialize function for array class or its the same as we
normally write for boost serialization?

> To make it efficient there are two considerations:
>
> 1.) it is very inefficient to store your complex numbers as a std::vector -
each complex number will require
> a dynamic allocation. Why don't you just use std::complex or implement
real_imag as a fixed-size array of
> length 2.

I have used complex here just as an example. Infact it can be any user defined
struct/class containing anything

> 2.) to make array serialization of built in types and some of your own structs
efficient you need to use array
> wrappers when you serialize your Array class.
>
> 3.) consider using the skeleton&contents mechanism if you need to send your
array often and only the
> contents but not the size of the array change

Can you give me some pointer about skeleton&contents mechanism and array wrappers

> I hope this helps
>
> Matthias

Thanks
Noman