Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [thread] Is Boost suitable for this application?
From: John Dlugosz (JDlugosz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-06-07 15:09:44

I'm pretty good with threads, and what you're describing is rather simple. In fact, it's so simple that I'd suggest using the easiest available function for creating a thread without any need for a big library to wrangle threads. Personally, I have no problem with the Win32 function to create a thread, since it will simply call the single hard-coded entry point.

The DLL called by LabView would contain a call to CreateThread (0,0, &entrypoint, 0,0,0);
This function returns right away, and meanwhile 'entrypoint' is called on the new thread.

To communicate, use a Queue class that has locks to provide for two-threaded access. I think I saw something about "shared" collections in Boost or TR2 or C++0x or something. If that's easy, just use that.

Otherwise, since what you want is fairly simple, make a STL queue class (a deque class used in such a way that you always add on one side and remove from the other) and the simplest possible mutex mechanism around the calls so they don't step on each other. Ah, but here's where it gets more complex: if the queue is empty you want the worker thread to sleep not keep spinning idly. Then again, maybe you don't care, and this is indeed very simple: Look for a "Critical Section" or "Mutex" or "Lock" of your choice. The fastest one in the Win32 API is created with InitializeCriticalSection, and looking that up will give you the other calls.

To terminate the worker, you send it a command that tells it to stop looping, and it returns from the 'entrypoint' function instead.