Subject: [Boost-users] Storing boost as a 'vendor library' within svn and minimising it's size
From: David Aldrich (David.Aldrich_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-13 06:24:30

Hi

We wish to use boost.python in our project that runs on both Windows and Linux platforms. I think that the best way of making boost available to the developers, particularly under Windows, will be as a 'vendor library' within our project's subversion repository. That way, we can control the version of boost in use and make available pre-built binaries.

My problem is that I want to minimise the size of that vendor library in order to minimise the time of checkouts and updates within Subversion. This is important as we have developers on the other side of the world, connected via low bandwidth links.

First of all, I would welcome any experience or suggestion of how best to share boost, using a vendor library or whatever.

Secondly, I have built just the boost.python shared libraries (v.1_43) and then executed 'boost install' to create a directory of just the header files and binaries. This will become the vendor library. Is this a sensible approach?

Thirdly, the install directory is 48MB, which is large compared to the other directories in the svn project. I am considering deleting the header file directories not used by boost.python. But this is a trial and error process, as boost.python uses lots of boost header files. Any ideas on how best to do this?

I will be very grateful for any advice.

With best regards

David