Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Annoying compiler warnings in asio/error.hpp
From: Ovanes Markarian (om_boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-14 14:46:11

What you describe here is the opposite of what is stated in the lib.
As far as I understand the author's intention by declaring a global variable
static: introdcution of an own copy of this var in each compilation unit.

I suggested a workaround with anon namespace. What you suggest by
introducing a static var in a class template is not the same, because it
actually creates an instance of static variable per template class. I assume
the global var in each compilation unit was required due to some threading
issues (or access issues), because the order or initialization global
variables in compilation units is not defined. Therefore, initializing a
static var in one compilation and then using it in another (from global
scope) might result in accessing an undefined variable. Schwarz Counter
paradigm might help. But first we should know what was the intention of such
a use case, before doing suggestions ;)

Regards,
Ovanes