Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Segmentation fault in lagged fibonacci random number generator
From: Moritz Beber (moritz.beber_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-20 20:39:11

On 20/07/10 21:23, Steven Watanabe wrote:
> AMDG
>
> Moritz Beber wrote:
>> I have a very strange segmentation fault in lagged fibonacci and
>> unfortunately, I was not able to reduce the problem to a simple
>> example yet. I know that stinks of the problem coming from my code
>> but please bear with me for a moment.
>>
>> I have two classes that both use the same other class for some random
>> number generation. The two classes differ only in one unrelated
>> function. If I run my program with one class everything works just
>> fine, if I run it with the other after a few iterations the error
>> occurs. I have no idea why, since they both use the exact same class
>> from which the error occurs.
>
> Are you overflowing the stack? Pseudo-random number generators
> can be rather large.
>
> In Christ,
> Steven Watanabe

@Matthias:

I don't think that's the problem. First of all, it works perfectly in
one case and second, rng() returns a reference to a static class member.

@Steve:

As usual you might be on to something. If this is off-topic, please tell
me to go somewhere else with my question. Checking the program's size
showed the values to be constant but nevertheless you did make me check
it in valgrind which is where I found the error.

Thank you both for your quick replies,
Moritz