Subject: Re: [Boost-users] How to disable the check or the error after checking for ICU (for regex lib) when building boost ?
From: Timothy Madden (terminatorul_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-08-04 14:20:31

Vladimir Prus wrote:
> John Maddock wrote:
>
>>> This happens on the trunk version of boost, from svn, the release tarball
>>> indeed does not display the message. Actually this only happens when
>>> building boost as a custom build step in my project's build process, from
>>> Visual Studio 2008. Building from the command line does not display the
>>> message. Which might make sense, since the message does not follow output
>>> redirection anyway.
>>>
>>> Maybe cl.exe somehow feels it is invoked from a subprocess of VS, or sees
>>> some environment variables, and knows how to output the message ?
>> Hmmm, no idea.... apparently you should never see the error messages - it's
>> redirected to a log file. So it sounds like this could be a Visual Studio
>> issue...
>
> Just to clarify one detail above this thread -- is this issue happening only with
> trunk, and not with release (when both are built inside VS)?

Yes, indeed

I tried it again to be sure.

I unpack the release boost archive boost_1_43_0.tar.bz2, and build the
boost libraries, all from a makefile, as a custom build step in my VS
2008 project, and boost compiles just fine.

I unpack the archive with the trunk version of boost (at least as the
trunk was a few days ago when I checked it out from svn) and build it in
my project. Then I see the error in the Output window in VS 2008, and
compilation of my project stops as the custom build step returned an
error :(.

You have the trimmed build logs attached. You can see a line:

1>libs\regex\build\has_icu_test.cpp(12) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open
include file: 'unicode/uversion.h': No such file or directory

in the second build log (with the trunk version), after boostrapping
bjam, but not in the first build log (with the release tarball).

(including the entire build logs would make the message too large for
this mailing list /newsgroup)

Thank you,
Timothy Madden

ÿþ<-n1>raoido b :nlni7eoerrrdUb atr0 ruPotSd-qgununie/Dalttr\ePBseLo.iunie sikruqjl-/De3IStWL/; &o/uuu o&t&vrupin;oBottuqcl\u&paT\;tetr0rtof be0dFpsh.a-riT op .nh c tdiaml i.pstm hcs.pCxc mya.t. .Cobgfil ugot - _t R/ itdeeoygoo ia M teb si ei mbi n eu g vip nkinrohdmrvoh-hhvrc+shr miaps\ipbgte ceop\s_.lbub cebluas \l\ciulciulciulps\icaneotkgotkgps\isv\g_+vroluau.0nv.t cet scdcu.lbue.0nlb-aomh-pt.0n eitspbgte ceoibte mieprriwdhaasodsoi4lre<=g=t< :d\uaa of
ÿþ<-n1>raoido b :nlni0eoerrrdUb atr0tof be0dFpshn3ine--a2)rBm .oamo l..ag 2 nro uhd c .pccctnern.x.tdTiuCjthn mbhdr_ R/&s rv2bmxd\iml\p 'clbi d8@st...sedmodm.. .grogro.oigoo otkoolctohel+ml..nyoaou.i-w oin rue g oi nl -: et..cmiotb\.vb\ ibulcCe prl\dsan:to\nneZasd-ceilgav\9dm mblohmbtlbu .w rc ed_wd:jl3