Subject: [Boost-users] [process] Determine if a process is still running?
From: Allen Cronce (allenslists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-06 15:09:33

Hi all,

I'm interested in a cross platform way to determine if a process as identified by process ID is still running. There is no parent/child relationship between the running and detecting processes. However it is easy in my particular scenario for the running process to communicate its ID to the detecting process for later evaluation.

I know that I can write separate Windows and Posix implementations that would work. But I'd prefer a cross-platform implementation rather than conditionally calling native API's.

I can see that boost::process supports obtaining a process ID. The question is can boost::process use this ID to determine if a given process, which was not launched as a child, is still running?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Best,

--
Allen Cronce