Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [regex] Boost.Regex + ICU vs. standalone ICU
From: John Maddock (boost.regex_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-25 04:51:54

> Is there a document out there describing any substantial differences
> (in particular, w.r.t. semantics and correctness) between using
> Boost.Regex with ICU support baked in as opposed to ICU's built-in
> RegexMatcher/RegexPattern classes?
>
> I do realize, for example, that the former's API has a 'modern C++'
> style, whereas the latter is modeled on Java's -- but these differences
> seem to be mostly cosmetic. Is there anything else I should be aware of
> before deciding to use one or the other -- performance, functionality,
> ease-of-use, etc.?

To a large extend all regex engines are created remarkably equal.

Looks like ICU hasn't caught up with some of Perl-5.10's additions yet
(recursive expressions for example).

The other advantage of Boost.Regex is that being iterator based you can
search text in non-contiguous storage.

Those were the only two that jumped out at me from a quick look at ICU.

HTH, John.