Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Users! Who'd like to wave goodbye to #ifdef BOOST_MSVC6_* workarounds?
From: Marsh Ray (marsh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-04 09:56:49

On 10/04/2010 03:20 AM, John Maddock wrote:
>> Is there a 'do nothing' option here? Ie., leave the codebase unchanged
>> but
>> no longer
>> declare MSVC6 support, and so no longer require authors to support it?
>
> LOL, I suspect that's the current situation ;-)

I see a lot of '+1's here, and here I'll add my own:

+1

with the intent that this can enable a change, but not a bunch of new work.

Certainly there are cases where the old VC6 support is deeply intermixed
with good code such that it would be too much work to be worth changing
just on the principle of tidiness.

The idea is that if a Boost developer happens to be working in a source
file and comes across a block of VC6 workaround code that he'd really
like to whack, he can just go ahead and whack it knowing he has the full
support of the users behind him.

- Marsh