Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Users! Who'd like to wave goodbye to #ifdef BOOST_MSVC6_* workarounds?
From: John Dlugosz (JDlugosz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-04 11:48:05

> I find that the dead stuff obscures and distracts from the relevant
> stuff and sometimes makes it a little harder to figure out what's going
> on. Troubleshooting some of these type system errors leaves me with
> little brainpower to spare!
>
> If the code doesn't get a little spring cleaning once in a while, the
> dead wood will just builds up more and more over time. A codebase as
> big
> as Boost could probably have a ongoing minor project for dusting and
> vacuuming. Heck, maybe there's some magic preprocessor that can do much
> of it automatically.
>
> Of course, if anyone has a real objection (perhaps unlikely at this
> point) they can share it here.
>
> Let's collect simple "+1"s from the user community on this thread and
> then ask nicely on the dev list.

I agree. Maintainers of old code who need to make a patch will be working with the existing versions and will not about to update a major library!

TradeStation Group, Inc. is a publicly-traded holding company (NASDAQ GS: TRAD) of three operating subsidiaries, TradeStation Securities, Inc. (Member NYSE, FINRA, SIPC and NFA), TradeStation Technologies, Inc., a trading software and subscription company, and TradeStation Europe Limited, a United Kingdom, FSA-authorized introducing brokerage firm. None of these companies provides trading or investment advice, recommendations or endorsements of any kind. The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.