Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost Logos: proposed high constrast logo
From: Zoltan Juhasz (zoltan.juhasz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-07 16:03:29

Follow up on the original topic:

I've uploaded a high-contrast version of the Boost Logo, and moved all
other logo related resources to the follow Google Docs folder:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B_WA6oW88X1UZWZiNzUwYzctYzg1NS00ZmY5LTllMDEtZGU4MzVlMDc1NWY4&sort=name&layout=list&num=50

On the logo discussion:

Various explanation could be made for the logo. For some these are
molecular structures; for others this is a small matrix of hexagonal
cells from a beehive; some may claim these are interconnected - in
some places overlapping - software components etc. Probably all of
these seem reasonable, maybe non of these for someone. My point is
that one could come up with any justification for the hexagons, but it
will not change others mindset on it. On the other hand...

... this is an abstract logo, which is fairly simple (well at least
the stylized form), it does not bring any cultural or any specific
technology connotations, and most importantly provides / provided a
"face" for Boost in the last 4 (or 5?) years. This is a strong
connection in public mind between the Boost community and the logo;
where the previous one defines the later - which (the community, and
the Boost project) has excellent reputation, which made the logo
highly recognizable (like any famous company brand). The point is, it
is not the logo which defines Boost, but the other way around. Ofc. if
the logo was something like this: http://preview.tinyurl.com/2wcg757
that would be arguably a big deflection compared to the spirit of
Boost, but I do not think this applies to the current case (chemical
analogy).

The other important point is that most of the developers that used
Boost in the previous years, already made the connection between the
logo and the Boost Libraries; making a radical change might be a bad
idea, unless there is a really strong reason to do that (for example
Boost ceases using C++, and focusing on Objective C from now),
otherwise keeping the continuity is important.

I hope the high contrast version of the logo is usable, let me know if
you need further help with it. I also hope that I was able to give you
some background on the abstract hexagons.

Regards,
Zoltan Juhasz