Subject: [Boost-users] getting started tutorial: link your program to a boost library
From: Oliver Adams (oliver.adams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-24 03:00:19

Hi,

I've just installed boost and have been going through the getting
started guide (for unix variants). I am having problems with the
section that discusses how to link your program to a boost library,
using boost.regex as an example.

$ c++ -I path/to/boost_1_44_0 example.cpp -o example \
   ~/boost/stage/lib/libboost_regex-gcc34-mt-d-1_36.a

That file does not exist. In fact there is no boost directory in my
home directory.

I'm not sure if running ./bjam install worked. It did build for a
while, but the last few lines of output were:

...failed updating 60 targets...
...skipped 12 targets...
...updated 8866 targets...

there seem to be a bunch of object files in
/usr/local/boost_1_44_0/bin.v2/libs/regex/build/gcc-4.4.5/release/threading-multi

unfortunately, when I try and use those files I end up getting:

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Any help's appreciated,
Oliver