Subject: Re: [Boost-users] MPI build problems in Fedora 14 x64
From: Juan Antonio Farré Basurte (jafb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-16 13:33:58

 Ok, now I've found out about environment modules. It isn't about openmpi
only, but something more general.
 Interesting information is at:

 http://www.urc.uncc.edu/urc/cluster-utilities/environment-modules/

 With 'module load openmpi-x86_64' before building, now the build works
perfectly.

 I hope this can help other people who might be as confused as I was :)

 Thanks a lot,

 Juan

 On Tue 16/11/10 19:15 , Riccardo Murri riccardo.murri_at_[hidden] sent:
 On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 6:52 PM, wrote:
> The workaround you suggest didn't work.
> I reported this as a bug to Fedora bugzilla and I got the following
answer:

> > This sounds like you didn't load the openmpi environment module prior
> > attempting to compile. The openmpi package is compliant with the new
mpi
> > packaging guidelines which state that there is no system wide mpi by
default
> > and the user must select the mpi they wish to compile with by use of
the
> > environment modules supplied by the mpi package. That module includes
the
> > necessary modifications to the environment to allow compilation of
mpi
> > programs. Can you please confirm if you see this problem after the
proper
> > environment is loaded?
>
> I really don't know how to check that, but looks like the packager's
oppinion is that
> this isn't a packaging but of mpic++. May be this is something new of
openmpi that
> hasn't been taken into account in boost build process?

 You might want to ask on a Fedora mailing list what's the correct way
 to select an "environment module" with their new package. I think
 this has nothing to
 do with the Boost build process -- you probably just need to set some
 environment
 variables or run a command that does some kind of environment setup for
you.

 I don't use Fedora myself and I have no access to any machine running
 it, so I'm afraid I cannot be of any help here.

 Best regards,
 Riccardo