Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Cannot build Boost
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-27 01:43:16

Greg Ward wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 4:26 AM, Ondřej Majerech <oxyd.oxyd_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> On 22 November 2010 08:35, Vladimir Prus <vladimir_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>> What documentation are you looking at? The getting started guide recommends
>>> that you use:
>>>
>>> ./bootstrap.sh
>>> ./bjam
>>>
>>> to build boost. Have you seen that recommendation? If no, do you have
>>> any suggestions how to make it more visible? If yes, why have you decided
>>> not to follow it?
>>
>> This is what I'm looking at:
>> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_45_0/more/getting_started/unix-variants.html
>> .
>>
>> Yes, I have seen that recommendation. However, it also says, "If
>> you're using a compiler other than your system's default, you'll need
>> to use Boost.Build to create binaries." in section 5.2. As using a
>> compiler other than my system's default is exactly my case, I
>> understood it that I should use instructions in section 5.2 instead of
>> those in 5.1. Did I misunderstand this part?
>
> I'm having the exact same problem as Ondra: boost 1.45 does not seem
> to build the same way as boost 1.44 if you need to use a custom
> compiler or non-standard build variant, and the docs do not describe
> the new way of doing things.
>
> So: how do you build boost 1.45 with 1) a custom compiler

The same way as 1.44:

        ./bootstrap.sh
        edit ./project-config.jam to specify your new compiler.
        ./bjam toolset=whatever-version

> and 2)
> non-standard build variants.

By passing relevant options to "./bjam".

> In my case, I'm using a local build of
> GCC that is not in $PATH, and I need single-threaded, static
> libraries.

Then, you'd edit 'using gcc' in project-config.jam to say:

        using gcc : : /full/path/to/g++ ;

and run:

        ./bjam threading=single link=static

- Volodya