Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Build] First Boost build experience
From: Viatcheslav.Sysoltsev_at_[hidden]
Date: 2010-12-23 03:09:21

> * First time round I figured that the right place to unpack the zip
> archive
> was to the
> place I ultimately wanted the include files to be (say
> /usr/local/include),
> because it's
> only when you get to the build binaries stuff that the whole copy/build
> thing is mentioned.
> Ok, so I should have read all the instructions first, but maybe this
> could
> be made
> clearer earlier.
>
> * Having come finally to step 5, the whole 'path/to/installation' thing
> appears, so I
> backtracked and put my zip expansion somewhere else. I'm keen to set
> this up
> so that I can support several boost versions, so am using the --prefix
> argument
> to bootstrap. I think I also need to supply this argument to bjam, at
> least
> it seemed
> to work that way.
Boost build process is not different than that of *any other* linux
autotools-based package:
configure --prefix=, make, sudo make install
In boost it is the quite same:
booststrap.sh --prefix=,bjam, sudo bjam install
I hope you don't build anything in /usr/local or /usr as root?!? Doing
`make clean` (or `bjam clean`) will teach you not to do so '< '< '<

> * Then I came to link the example regex program... what is all that stuff
> about
> library naming? I didn't seem to have libraries with names like that at
> all,
> my regex
> libraries were libboost_regex.{a,so,so.1.45.0}, so I used that, and I
> still
> don't
> know what all the stage stuff is about - it seemed to work without it,
> but
> maybe
> there's something that's going to bite me.

I believe you have right to report any compile-time or link-time issue
during build process as full-weight PR to "Building Boost" component.

> * Finally my link was failing with "`GLIBCXX_3.4.14' not found", which
> Googling seemed
> to suggest was because I need Fedora 14 libstdc++. So I installed that,
> and
> now
> it seems to work.. so far!

I don't know things about Fedora, but usually mixing different versions of
libstdc++ in a single project is very wrong thing to do. Unless you're
going to learn libstdc++ internals much better with gdb ;)

Regards, Slava