Subject: Re: [Boost-users] large variant performance compared (50 elements)
From: Paul (peebor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-08 17:48:33

I guess as was to fast there in being optimistic ;)

It seems there is another performance issue when i extend the number of
types further to 75 (on the project we expect to grow to +/- 60 types).

   typedef boost::mpl::vector75<
     boost::shared_ptr<C1>,
     boost::shared_ptr<C2>,
     boost::shared_ptr<C3>,

My machine simply runs out of memory (commit 3.0GB) while the compiler
keeps consuming 100% for minutes...

 From what i can see now is that no combination (adding boost::blank or
not, patching variant.hpp or not) seems to succeed to compile and link
<1min and <1GB or ram.

A test using boost::blank + the patched variant just finished on 4:00min.

Steven, can you maybe invest with your tool where the
load/instantiations are coming from?

PS: I have downloaded your tool with svn, i intend to test/use it for
myself as well. ;)

Paul