Subject: Re: [Boost-users] serialization binary file backwards compatibilityissue 1.42 -> 1.45
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-22 16:41:39

Jake Brownson wrote:
> I see in the changelog
> (http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_45_0/libs/serialization/doc/release.html)
> that files serialized with 1.42's binary serialization will have
> problems opening in 1.45. This is exactly what I'm experiencing.
> Luckily we have only used 1.42 in our project up to this point when we
> are testing for a release including boost 1.45, so we know all of our
> previous files were saved using 1.42. We should be able to
> automatically apply the fix_six fix when loading old files (I can tell
> by the filename when it's an old one).
>
> However I'm confused because fix_six bumps the version from 6 to 7,
> but in my copy of boost 1.42 serialization is already saving files w/
> a library version of 7. Did 1.42 get patched to fix this issue
> already, or am I misunderstanding something?

Actually, more likely I'm missing something. This has been agony for me.
Since I didn't find out about these problems until sometime after the fact,
I'm not completely sure which version fix_six should be applied to.

> I found a recent thread where Robert Ramey asked someone to try trunk.
> I just did this and without the fix_six fix the files seem to be

Well, that's good news. Fortunately, if loading fails, if does so in
a catastrophic way so I would guess that there's no problem. Thanks
for your patience.

Robert Ramey