Subject: [Boost-users] One small step for mankind - was Re: What's happened to Ryppl?
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-29 12:57:33

Dave Abrahams wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 4:35 PM, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:

In the interest of moving toward a better modularization of boost
and decoupling of libraries, I would like to make a suggestion:

Can we change library testing so that each library is tested against the
current release branch of all the other libraries?

When I test on my own machine, I don't test against the trunk. I
test against the current release tree. Another way of saying this is
that on my current machine I have my directory tree set to the
the boost release branch. ONLY the serialization library directories
are set to the trunk. So when I test on my local machine I KNOW that when I
merge
into the release branch I won't have any unexpected problems.

a) I don't think this would be a huge change.
b) It would better test what the user does
c) It would isolate each library from another so that
errors in the trunk (wild west) in one library don't impact
on development of other libaries.
d) It would promote decoupling of libraries.
e) as an intermediate step, not all testers would have
to make the change - some could use the old script.

It would be a small, not too difficult step on the path
we think we want to travel.

Robert Ramey