Subject: Re: [Boost-users] boost::asio from C++ Forms App in VS 2010
From: Juraj Ivanèiæ (juraj.ivancic_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-28 08:03:10

On 26.2.2011 0:18, Alan Vella wrote:

> I'm trying to port a C++ project from gcc (on MinGW) to Visual Studio
> 2010 inside a Visual C++ Windows Forms application. The code was
> originally written on a Windows XP 32-bit machine. Now it is being
> ported into a Windows 7 32-bit machine. This project uses quite a few
> boost libraries, including the boost::asio library. When I try to
> compile the code in VS2010 I get the following errors:

<snip error messages>

> 1>Build FAILED.

The problem is that Boost.Asio is not designed to be used MS C++ managed
code. It will work with a regular C++ compiler (i.e. cl.exe). I'm out on
a limb here as I do not know much about MS managed C++, but ASIO (which
strives to be portable C++ networking library) really does not seem to
be the tool for the job in such environment, even in case this is
possible. If I were you I'd consider replacing ASIO with a more
appropriate framework (.NET?) for this platform.

HTH