Subject: Re: [Boost-users] boost::exception_detail::error_info_base does not have virtual destructor
From: Emil Dotchevski (emildotchevski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-17 17:27:23

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Ted Byers <r.ted.byers_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>  I do have a little sympathy with your, and his, position, when dealing with
> extremely tight time constraints, but not a lot.  If one of the design
> criteria is that the code being produced must be widely portable, then I
> pass it through the range of platforms and compilers that we have to
> support, and as far as it is possible, I try to treat all warnings as
> errors.

The virtual destructor warning goes directly against a conscious
design decision. In my opinion it also teaches programmers a bad
habit. This doesn't make the warning any less annoying of course, so
I'm doing my best to suppress it.

The fact that we're having this discussion is another upside: it shows
the reader that at least some people think that it is an error to
"fix" this particular warning. :)

Emil Dotchevski
Reverge Studios, Inc.